Friday, February 13, 2009

A Tri-athlete Life

When you are told you can’t do something you do it just to show that you can. When your dreams exceed the limits of reality you do everything in your power to make that fantasy as real as possible. My name is Ariel Henbest and I have goals. I have dreams; things that I want to achieve just to say, “I’ve done that before. It’s possible for you as well.” At the age of 18 (2 weeks younger than record holder) I finished the World Championship Ford Ironman of 2008. It wasn’t easy.
Growing up I’ve had many dreams. I always thought that girls shouldn’t be any different than guys in their abilities, other than brain power of course. (jk,jk) Really, I’ve always tried my best to do better than the guys on my team, the other team, in school, and pretty much every guy I’ve met. They can’t beat me. Why should they be able to? I have just as much heart and endurance that they have about this sport. I always wanted to be the fastest one in flag tag at school, and I was one of the top. Then I wanted to be the best basketball player (I still do, it’s my favorite sport) and well, I was a starter in middle school. I had the speed and the love for the game and we were one game away from states! Then I wanted to be the fastest hurdler in track. Never did hurdles until the day before my first meet and I went to states for the 300 hurdles, long jump, and the 4x4 relay.
Here in Hawaii I wanted to be a good volleyball player on the beach. You better watch out when I serve and on a good run. It just might be a little difficult trying to get the ball back on your side. Then, I did Peaman; swimming, biking, and running. They were small events but I still got noticed for a talent. So I decided to do the qualifying race for the Championship Ironman. It took place on the day of my birthday and what a gift it was because I placed.
I became the youngest female to ever finish the World Championship Ironman that year, 2008. It’s a record set at 18. There are so many other things that I want to do in life. Travel, ski dive, model, learn different languages, and just to do the impossible, live life to the fullest.
My point to this story (it’s a true story by the way) is that we all have dreams and we all have those people that tell us you can’t do it. It is a stretch from reality, but you can. Don’t let them ruin your dreams, if you want to be a lawyer, push yourself when no one else believes in you. It’s ok if you mess up, just get up and try again. All those goals I’ve made I have never met. I’ve only got a piece of them but I still pushed myself and got a taste of a little glory in each event. The Ironman…. My time wasn’t exactly what I hoped for but I finished.
It’s all about trying your best to show your capabilities. Show the world that there is something in you that can benefit everyone. Reach for the stars-its encouragement.

2 comments:

CORE2TRI said...

your last paragraph is aweseome! and so true it is

Anonymous said...

She's back. I know one boy you did not beat in the Honu. You need to start training with your dad and I.

Jimmy