Monday, October 27, 2008

Ironman...over :(

October 26th, halloween is almost here. 2 weeks past ironman, what a recovery. Lets just say i made it past the finish line before midnight. Ok, ok, you ready... it took me 16 hours 46 minutes and 11 seconds. (16:46:11) Not the best time in the world but it's no where close to the worst because i made it. How many people can say that. Only a handful and i am crammed into the bunch. I am proud to say that i am an Ironman (not a girl but not yet a women) and the youngest female to ever complete the World Championship Ironman. Thanks to all the support out there and the volunteers I made it. It was raining baked potatoes(if you know me, you will understand), alot of pain but tasted very good when i crossed that finish line. I probly did my best in the swim, came out at a descent time so that made me happy . Another part that made me happy was seeing the line of people on alli'i drive screaming as i was running to the finish line. The best part of the whole race was seeing the volunteers. Volunteers to me are not just the people that played security roles or passing out drinks, but the people that stayed out there all day long cheering us on. Going out to hawi on that bike ride was pretty lonly, especially when you coming in right before cutoff time and you will see groups of people cheering you on at the different stations. Also, you will sometimes see one or two people sitting out on their long chairs screaming at the top of their lungs for you to finish when no one else is around. That takes alot of commitment to stay out there that long by yourself. And the music when i was running was great. Seeing some school mates out there on the highway dancing to the music and excited because they had no idea you were in the ironman. This whole day was an adventure all on its own. Meeting people from all over the world, small, foreign, huge, interesting, nice, and just full of energy. Ok, i can ramble on about the same thing for hours and say the same things over and over again so i'm just going to stop my self here.

Thankyou bree wee for cheering my on (saw her in the bike transition), thankyou volunteers and cheering spectators for being out there for us, thankyou to the people that got me started - peaman, tridaddy coaching (coach eddie herd), oliver(cycle station), saturday morning ride (bike works), steve (masters swimming), eric neilson-pipes (professional help and attention), and school for gettting me started in volunteering to help out with the ironman. Thankyou to my parents for paying for 90% of the expences and for volunteering, thankyou jessica henbest (my lil sister) for saying "we're not going home till you do ariel" and sticking with me for the last 12 miles - that was just a boost that i needed(honestly it brought tears to my eyes, i will cheerish that moment because i think that is the nicest thing you ever said to me, and i may never hear it again, lol) thankyou mom for attempting to walk my speed (lol), (for the sign and keeping track on me throughout the bike ride, Thankyou dad for sticking with me for the last 12 miles - it was funny you went to the bathroom more in that last 12 miles than what i did that whole race - you also sang to me aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh...lol jk jk. I thank the Chuch for watching for me and cheering me on, Phill came down there and actually walked with me as well for a little while. Thankyou Chrissy Wellington for putting a lei on me when i crossed the finish, Thankyou Pizza Hut for your support and gifts - Christal, Chris, Whitney, Zach, Mom, Dad, Jessica, Chrissy Wellington, Santiago, Leslie, Coach Eddie Herd, Pomai, Brad, and i'm sure many others, the Croud - thankyou for being there for me all the way. I can now say I have completed the Ironman and it will be with me forever. I hope to come back next year and improve on time dramatically , lol...


Aloha, and Mahalo....


Ariel

3 comments:

Big Island Podcast said...

And Thank you Ariel for doing the race!

See ya at the next Peaman (I slacked off yesterday...)

Joe Loschiavo,
Aid Stations Director

Anonymous said...

What about me?

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

In 2009, you have to beat me in the qualifier.

Jimmy